patty kirk

patty kirk lying down, getting up, sitting at home, walking down the road doing deuteronomy 6:7

Monday, March 25, 2013

gute nacht

Tonight my yoga instructor read from a book written by her yoga teacher, Baron Baptiste, who was raised without faith of any kind and then apparently, in adulthood, became a Christian.

In the passage my yoga instructor read, Baptiste was going on about how growing up he had thought all that was important in life was power and sex. Then, he figured out that didn’t fill him. There I was face to the floor in child’s pose, not really paying attention but just concentrating on my breathing and wishing she’d quit reading stuff and make us sweat, and she’s going on about how this guy discovered that “the real toughness was living from my soul, not my muscles or macho-ness” (or something like that). Then, suddenly, she quotes this guy quoting Jesus: “Be therefore transformed by the renewing of your mind from within.” It made me, there in child’s pose, my fleshy body sandwiched between thirty something skinny souls, cry real tears.

Afterwards I discovered that it was actually Paul, not Jesus, who said that (in Romans 12:2), which was distressing, and that the “from within” part isn’t in any translations I can find. But still. That is my scriptural gift to you tonight, via Baron Baptiste, via my yoga instructor. It is a good thing to think on and cry about.

Gute Nacht.

1 comment:

  1. Romans 12:2 is one of my favorite verses - the first I ever memorized. It begs the question, "How does one go about renewing their mind?" In answer to that, this verse has been especially helpful to me: Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

    Day in and day out, we are so bombarded with ungodly things. Whether we know it or not, we are drowning. Look for and find the Godly things in this world - despite our situations. God loves us so much that he gives us abundant evidence of that love all around us. I want to be that guy that sees it and thinks about such things.

    ReplyDelete